A Speling Rant
A cranky rant for
CRANKY RANT SATURDAY
The following is the rant of a cranky old man.
Begin rant:
I am a terrible speller. If it were not for spell check I would not blog. I am actually quite sensitive about my spelling. My spelling was one reason I did not get good grads in skool and never attempted to enter any profesion that required a lot of righting.
For some reason people with dyslexia are not mocked, they are applauded when, with special help, they overcome their disability. Pour spellers are never applauded. They are considered stupid and lazy.
I remember my English teachers telling me,
“There is no excuse for misspelling a word. If you are unsure, simply look it up in the dictionary.”
I was so unsure of so many spellings tht it took me longer to check my spelling than it did to write a paper. Furthermore, I still had misspelled words which I assumed were spelled correctly. Some words I mispelled so badly that I could not find them in the dictionary so I had to use a different word and my content sufferd.
It burns my but, when I write an 800-word post and some peoples only comment would be,
“You know "your" is for what you possess, "you’re" is what a person is... don’t you?”
“Why yes, yes I do, but sometimes I make that error and spell check will not always highlight the mistake…I guess that makes me an idiot!”
I reed lots of blog posts, and some are near illiterate in grammer and spelling, even worse than mine, and clearly ritten without the help of a word processing program. I let it go. I don’t let someones disability distract from there content. Actually, I think that is a sign of intelligence.
What really chafs my backside is the other week I used the word “isle” instead of “aisle.” It was immediately called to my attention.
The correction was harmless of course, but I think spell and grammar editors feel a little special when they can catch an error and don’t realize their correction can sometimes be hurtful, but as I said I am sensitive about my disability. When I see someone walking with a limp, I don’t say, “Hay, you should probably learn to walk better!”
Well I do have spell check, but it does not always correct mistakes, and I do read and re-read every post before I hit “submit.” Still errors do slip through. The other day I was writing in a comment about my misspelling of “aisle” and I noticed that as I typed the word, the “a” was not struck hard enough and I ws left with “isle” which passed the word check paramaters. Damn!
OK, there is my rant. Their may be sum erors in this post, they are (most of them) left for the explicit porpose of driving spell and grammer Nazis crasie.
End rant.
The preceding was the rant of a cranky old man and not necessarily that of management…Mrs. Cranky.

0 Yorumlar